"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ellorie's Mashed Potato Bread with Garden Sprouts



I guess I was feeling a little creative this morning. We've been loving the sprouts. I had more of the "garden mix" sprouts than I could eat on my salads, so I decided to put some in my bread. I worked out better than I expected it to. The sprouts I used had radish seeds, sesame seeds, and I'm not sure what else. They are really small though, and a little spicy. When they are cooked in the bread they are more mellow and nutty. The kids even loved it. This loaf is almost gone. I think it will be fantastic for sandwiches. Such an easy recipe too:


1 1/2 cups hot water
4 teaspoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast

2 Tb softened butter
2 teaspoons salt
3 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cups sprouted seeds (with tails about twice as long as the seed, mine were 2 days old)
1/2 cups mashed potato flakes

This recipe makes one 2 pound loaf. It's really light and fluffy.
(Click HERE for bread making instructions)
bake @350 for 30 min.

6 comments:

Bryce and Sharee said...

Yum. I would try but I don't have any homegrown sprouts. Darn!

Matt said...

Your sprout thing looks cool, and your bread looks yummy! I might have to try it. I've never heard of bread with potato flakes, but it sounds like heaven.

carol said...

Sorry, sorry! I am a moron. I was logged in to my husband's email and made the comment. Pretend where it says "matt" it says "carol." doi. i'm a dummy.

BrittanyLane said...

You don't have to have a sprouter to sprout seeds. You can make them grow in a wet paper towel rolled up in a wet wash cloth in a plastic bag, or in a mason jar even. Make sure you rinse them out a couple times a day so they don't start growing mold and such...

Brittany said...

It sounds kind of weird, but looks yummy. I really need to learn how to make bread. All of yours look really yummy.

Shannon said...

So fun to catch up on all your entries. I haven't been much into blogging lately. Love all your new posts and pictures. We'll talk soon!