"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Parmesan Peppercorn Bread

One of my recent "goals" is to make all of our family's bread. I've been doing it for about three months now. (I just learned how to make bread this year, which was a bit embarrassing, so I have to make up for lost time you know...) Sometimes my family gets a little bit sick of whole wheat bread. And sometimes even oatmeal bread. So I like to change it up once in a while and throw something more exciting in the mix. (And I have to be honest, I like a change every once in a while myself...)


Last night I tried this gem, and it was a hit. Averie doesn't like it, but Brandon and the big kids LOVE it. We're pretty big parmesan/pepper fans around here. Here's the recipe for a 2 lb. loaf:

mix together: 1 1/2 cups hot water, 4 ts sugar, and 2 ts yeast, stir until dissolved and set aside.

4 cups flour (I used white this time)
4 teaspoons olive oil
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh coarsely ground peppercorns

Mix together, add the yeast mixture, and knead.

(Now I'm a big fat cheater and used my bread machine to mix the dough, but you can mix it by hand if you are so inclined. Just knead it really, really well, and let it raise for an hour.)

Whether I use the machine or the old fashioned way, after the bread rises the first time, I punch it down and knead it again for a minute or two. I spray my bread pan, shape my loaf, set it in the pan, cover it with a clean cloth, and let it raise on the stove for another hour. Preheating the oven a little early helps it raise faster. Then bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

This bread is fantastic with soup. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Dave and Shatzi said...

Mmmmm. Sounds good. I'll have to give it a try.

jess said...

sounds yummy.. I'll admit that I have no idea how to make bread, and my husband is always asking... maybe I'll give it a try. tell me it's easy! :0)

Bryce and Sharee said...

Sounds so good! I think I will try this one today. Hopefully it will turn out better than the last time!!

Bryce and Sharee said...

I made it and it worked! Yeah for me!! So good Britt!

Brittany said...

Looks yummy! One of these days I will attempt bread making, but not today:) I have to get a breadmaker first. (I'm kind of lazy!!)