"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Monday, February 23, 2009

Blankie Girls

Every Monday or so, I have no choice but to wash "Bubby", Averie's beloved blanket.  Ellorie's usually goes along for the ride as well.  In one week this blanket has managed to accumulate doggy drool, marker, milk, yogurt, an unidentified blue something, and a whole lotta dirty spots.  


It is MAJOR emotional trauma each and every time "Bubby" makes the trip to the laundry room.  Today she wailed and wailed and wailed until the dryer cycle finally came to an end.  Each girl grabbed her beloved and cuddled on the couch for quite some time.  Averie likes to rub her blanket on her head a lot when it first comes out of the dryer.  
I have to laugh, but it was the same for me when I was little.  My "beloved" was yellow with eyelet edging, Cabbage Patch doll print on one side, baby terry cloth on the other with yellow yarn ties.  My Grandma Joyce made it for me when I was little.  I had a lot of other blankets, but this was the ONE.  I finally abandoned it in college when it was just a little too gross-looking and embarrassing to have sitting on my bed.  I think it's in a box downstairs.  My blanket now is much more sophisticated.  (Brandon hardly ever rolls his eyes at me when I need it to get to sleep...)

It's funny the blankets they choose.  My kids each have a ton of blankets, which they love and know by name.  Ellorie's favorite is a yellow Winnie the Pooh print, "yellow blankie" that my Young Women made for me when I had her, and Averie's is a really silky baby receiving blanket with minkie edges that Jason and Ang gave her.  

Mason has several blankets he likes, but he doesn't have one that he loves like the girls do.  He has a "cars" blanket Grandma Gina made him, a mustang blanket Grandma Sherma made him, and a pillow blanket Grandma Allen made him.  He gives all three equal love, but he's growing out of dragging his blanket around the house.  He just uses his for sleeping.

5 comments:

Brittany said...

That's so cute. Braylee doesn't have an attachment to any 1 particular blanket or toy...she doesn't sit still long enough to form attachments!!!

Dave and Shatzi said...

Bria has major fascinations with blankets, too. Any and all - she'll pile them as high as she can get them on her bed. Max not so much with blankets, but with his ONE blankie. It's so funny to watch the attachment that kids get to blankets. I love the picture of Averie with her bubby on her head! So cute

Dave and Shatzi said...

Bria has major fascinations with blankets, too. Any and all - she'll pile them as high as she can get them on her bed. Max not so much with blankets, but with his ONE blankie. It's so funny to watch the attachment that kids get to blankets. I love the picture of Averie with her bubby on her head! So cute

Heather said...

Your kids are so cute! Keira has a blanket that barely covers her, but it is the only blanket she will sleep with. She won't let us put any other blanket on her at night. Not sure what to do when it won't cover her toes anymore...

Shannon said...

Love the blankie stories and the pictures are adorable. I hope you are all feeling better. I'm finally catching up on blogging and it was fun to see all your posts. A new DOG, WOW what a cute one too, I love the pictures! Talk to ya soon!