"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Thursday, February 26, 2009

A New Favorite Breakfast

Delicious Wheat Berry Cereal


I am hooked.  I had this for breakfast every day this week.  It is delicious, healthy, and uses my food storage, so how can I go wrong.  Here's what I did:  Take 1 cup of hard wheat from your food storage.  I used the white wheat.  Boil it in quite a bit of water, probably a quart or two, for 45 minutes.  Drain.  Eat!  I put a bunch in the refrigerator and it lasts all week.  It is really yummy in yogurt too, or warmed up in the microwave with a little milk and sugar (or cream if you're into that sort of thing, and believe me I am...)  It would be really good with fruit and nuts too, but I haven't tried that yet.  I love a breakfast I can make once and enjoy all week!

Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my family that will eat it.  Brandon pops his wheat for a snack several nights a week.  I don't like it that way, so to each his own I guess.

4 comments:

Bryce and Sharee said...

Sounds really good. I like it popped like Brandon too.

Shannon said...

That looks great! I'll have to try it. How do you pop it?

BrittanyLane said...

Brandon pop his wheat in a dry hot fry pan. He just shakes the kernels around in the pan until they "pop", it only takes a few minutes. Then he drenches them in butter and salt. A bit too rich for my taste, but I'll eat a couple of bites.

Melissa said...

Thanks for the new idea. I really enjoy reading about all your food adventures! I am definately going to try this out tomorrow!