"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Monday, March 9, 2009

Healthy Snacks to Go

I've been on a crusade to increase our healthy food intake around here.  This is one of my favorite on-the-go, ridiculously healthy snacks.  I go to the bulk section of the grocery store and get little baggies of all the healthy stuff my family will eat.  I get smaller bags of the more spendy items and bigger bags of the things we like the most.  


Today I got:  macadamia nuts($1.30), raw cashew pieces($0.52), raw sunflower seeds($0.38), yogurt covered raisins($0.58), raw pumpkin seeds($0.50), unsweetened shredded coconut($0.14),  dried cranberries($0.68), dried mango($0.28), plain granola($0.58), raw whole oats (already had these), slivered almonds($1.12, I got a LOT of these.), dried blueberries($0.50), and wasabi peas($0.12).  That's a grand total of 6.70 for enough snack baggies to last for a few weeks, you can make them a lot cheaper too if you don't go for the more expensive nuts and fruit, or if you dry the fruit and make the granola yourself.  Store bought trail mix is a lot more expensive, full of salt, sugar, and oil, and not nearly as tasty or full of the good stuff.  It almost feels like cheating!  I love it.
Sometimes I throw in some mini dark chocolate chips, or a greater variety of dried fruits and nuts.  Then I get some snack size Ziploc bags and assemble.  Some are more fruity and sweet, some are more nutty and salty.  They are perfect for a snack any time of the day, have lots of good omegas in the nuts, its very filling, and best of all it's delicious!  

Brandon has a crazy schedule right now and has very little time for meals at all, much less healthy ones.  So I assembled him a box of these baggies (along with a few other things) for him to snack on throughout the day.  I'm thinking I need to go back and get some more stuff to make some for me now...

7 comments:

Bryce and Sharee said...

What a good idea-Brandon is a very lucky guy! Looks delicious except like you I really haven't liked wasabi; I would have to dry it again. I have a really good recipe for homemade granola from a friend. Let me know if you want it.

jess said...

this looks delicious.. yumm..
just have to tell you. yesterday when i pulled in, mason and ellorie were running down the road and rocket was chasing ellorie. mason was laughing so hard. it was super cute. rocket has gotten so big. just like kids, it's amazing how fast they grow.

Debbie Murdock said...

I wish I could find a close store with a good bulk food section. When we lived in Idaho WinCo was THE store for those things. Maryn goes crazy over nuts and craisins and stuff like that.

Brittany said...

Smart Idea! Looks pretty good too. We need to be more healthy.

Dave and Shatzi said...

Yumm!!! I might have to try some myself. Maybe it would help with the constant hunger in our kiddos!

Camryn said...

hey girl--you and I are a lot alike when it comes to food. You would like the cookbook: American's health crisis, by Tandi Hartle
The recipes are insanely good!

Check our her blog site it's:
www.thepeacefulkitchen.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

Great idea - in individual baggies it is so easy to grab and go! A lot better than the fruit snacks and granola bars I have been handing out to the kids! It would be perfect for tossing to the kids before basketball practice.