"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Gigantic Garden in Progress...


Here's the big ol' beast! It's about 40' by 60'.
And here's the garden-meister with his creation:



Last night Brandon tilled the garden and finished putting together the watering system. I'm thrilled! I went to get some strawberry starts from one of Brandon's co-workers while he finished.

I have to brag on Brandon a little here. He made the most fantastic watering system for my garden. It has 18 single lines, one double lines for the strawberries, and a double double line for the other berries that are yet to come. The best part is that it's hooked to the auto-sprinkling system on its own line! (We had a few flooding mishaps in our last garden because I always forgot to turn off the water. Oops.) Each line has a long dripper hose attached that gets water only where we want it. Super easy. It also helps cut down on the weeds.

Today was gorgeous! I was up early, early, early for my exercise class and got home just after sunrise. I got Mason off to school and then out to the garden I went... I just might have to become a morning person, you know, one of those OLD people that loves to wake up at the crack of dawn and head out to work in the garden... Never thought THAT would happen. (Don't worry, I'm sure it will wear off shortly. )

This morning I planted strawberry starts (about 30-40), peas (two 40 foot rows... uh..I know.), early carrots, red lettuce, salad lettuce, rainbow swiss chard, regular swiss chard, purple carrots, coreless carrots, early spinach, and parsnips. I need to get the beets and cabbage in still, but I'll probably wait a week. I got a little carried away, but I just couldn't help myself.

Ellorie helped for about three minutes. Then she was off to play with Rocket. Averie mostly just stood on the porch and called "MOM!". She was a little grumpy this morning. She is getting in some of her BIG molars, and has not been her usual cheery self.

I can't wait to plant the rest, but unfortunately, we have to wait a few weeks. We are still in the frost danger zone. In the meanwhile I'm planting lots of starts indoors.

YAY SPRING!!!

11 comments:

lipkiss said...

Ummmmm remember when we had a small garden at the Springwater house and how you LOOVVVEDDDD to weed? OOOPs... you may have created a monster. Good Luck my ambitious one!

Sally said...

AMAZING! I was going to blog about our little 'city' garden but I'm not so sure anymore...

Bryce and Sharee said...

uh...it looks about the size of a football field! i think you probably will be feeding the entire neighborhood, britt. lol. and i didn't even know there were that many kinds of carrots out there. very impressive- just think of all the money you will be saving on fresh veggies and fruits! plus you can just walk outside if you need something. awesome.

Melissa said...

Holy moly!(is that a word? I'm not sure but it is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw your gigantic garden) I confess - I am envious! Oh the possibilities! No need to ask what you are going to be doing this summer. Have fun!!!

Melissa said...

almost forgot . . . Brandon I am way impressed!! You are seriously one talented and driven individual!

Brittany said...

Purple carrots..coreless carrots..what? You both are very impressive. GOOD LUCK! You can weed for me anytime.

Debbie Murdock said...

I know I'm not supposed to be jealous but MAN I'm jealous. :) We don't have a lot of space so we were talking with a few friends about maybe growing one thing and they doing the same then trading when we need it. Brandon, impressive my friend, very impressive!

Brooklyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brooklyn said...

WOWZA! I think that my gardening attention span is comparable to Ellorie's. So I'm definitely impressed!

Jason said...

Can you say WEEDING WITH A SWATHER! Let me know when it needs to be done and I'll head that way with the tractor. We could probably get a half ton bale of hay off it. Very impressive. Maybe you could break off a half acre for Melissa and I wouldn't have to make her one.

kelsey alissa said...

ummm... wow. brandon is such a hard worker!! that's amazing. i miss you britt! i'll try and post on my blog- i've sucked at it lately