"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Coleslaw on a Calorie Budget

I love coleslaw.  I don't know why.  I realize that many people find it utterly disgusting, my husband included, but sometimes I just have to have me some coleslaw.  As I was walking past the deli at the grocery store today I saw some and thought to myself...mmmmm


Okay, survey question:  Please raise your hand if you would like to knowingly consume over 1000 calories of pure fat mayo style?  Anyone, anyone?  No takers?  That stuff is made with the full-fat mayo, and is drowning in it.  Seriously.  I couldn't bring myself to it.  So my alternative was to make my own.  Instead of the deli variety, I purchased:

shredded broccoli (under a dollar)
shredded carrots (under a dollar)
green onions
green cabbage

and I already had dried cranberries, feta cheese, and garden sprouts (buy or grow your own.)

Put them all together and voila!  Gourmet coleslaw.  I bought some light coleslaw dressing and used about two tablespoons for a HUGE coleslaw.  Total calories: 110
And it's SOOOO gooooood.  I bet you want some...

3 comments:

Bryce and Sharee said...

I do, I do! Seriously I am with you on this one. It has been so long since I have had any...yummm. Red cabbage coleslaw is really good too!

Debbie Murdock said...

That looks good to me but we also live in the health food section. Kids don't like coming to my house because they say my snacks are gross like craisins, almonds and carrots.

Anna said...

Nice work! I love it when I invent (or find) a low-in-calorie high-in-taste recipe. You and I need to start a culinary t.v. show or publish a cookbook. Between the two of us, we have some great (and healthy) recipes. What do ya think?