"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Monday, May 11, 2009

Hot Tamales!






So a few days ago I really wanted some tamales.  Totally craving them.  Where we used to live this cute little Mexican lady and her daughter would come door to door selling tamales that were to die for.  SO yummy.  Ever since moving I haven't had a tamale that even came close.  


So I happened by the maseca tamale flour in the grocery store and made an impulse purchase.  I've never made tamales before.  I've never seen tamales made before.  Okay, and also I had no clue hot to make them.  I'm as gringo as they come.  So thanks to our friend "the Google", I figured it out.  

There are about a hundred recipes for the same thing, so I improvised a bit, picked one without lard (not something I keep on hand) and went to work.  Apparently making tamales is an all day affair.  Who knew.  Two and a half hours to simmer the meat, shred and season, soak the corn husks a couple of hours, mix up the dough, assemble, place in a steamer--OH WAIT, I DON'T HAVE ONE OF THOSE.  oops.  Okay, well then, make a steamer out of the fry basket, some random pots and pans, a wet kitchen rag and one of those vegetable steamer thingies.  CHECK.  Then steam those babies for at least two hours.  WHEW!  It wasn't exactly hard, just took most of the day.  I got two paintings finished in the down time, so no complaints.  Also, the finished product was as good or better than I could have imagined.  They were a hit.  I can't say the kids were in total love with them, but they ate most of one, and they liked the mexican rice.  Picky little stinkers anyway... 

Also, I had a wonderful Mother's Day.  I haven't been very good at blogging and taking pictures.  The kids made me the cutest cards ever and were very sweet.  They all gave me an electric wheat grinder that I've been wanting for my obsessive bread baking, and, oh yeah... I'm going to Hawaii in a few weeks with a girl friend!  I'm going to paint and paint and play and relax.  I'm so excited.  Thank you honey!  

10 comments:

Brittany said...

Looks yummy! And Hawaii will be so much fun. Derek, Braylee and I will be going in Aug. when he gets home.

Sharon said...

holy cow! you're awesome, that's one thing i don't think i'll ever attempt, but they look yummy. yey for paintings too! see you in the morning

Bryce and Sharee said...

yum yum yum! now i am craving tamales. when i lived in mattawa there were people who would sell door to door too. so delicious! is that tomatilla dressing on the side i see!?! yum! sounds like you are really appreciated around there. what is brandon going to do while you are gone? is he taking time off from work?
btw you should post the recipe that you used.

Melissa said...

I am impressed! I think I will wait for a door to door saleswoman to stop by my house - so when can we expect you? Yea! I am excited that things worked out for Hawaii!!!

Debbie Murdock said...

I don't think I've ever eaten a tamale before. Looks good though! Lucky you going to Hawaii!! Have fun and you will never run out of things to paint because it's absolutely beautiful there.

Jenni said...

Very impressed!

jess said...

YUm-O.
I would love to get your recipe and make some this summer. We love tamales.

Dave and Shatzi said...

Those look AWESOME!!! I bet they were yummy, too. You'll have to give my your recipe. Maybe this summer, I'll feel a little more ambitious to take on such a bit cooking project.

Brooklyn said...

WOW! Is there anything that you don't do? :D

Anna said...

I have made fresh tamales...and it is a all-day event. Good job! My new kick is home-made flour tortillas. Have you ever tried those? They are simply divine, easy to make, and much healthier than what you buy in the store. In fact, I will never buy store-brand tortillas now. If you want I can e-mail the recipe to you.