"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Rainbow Garden Medley

It is so nice to eat meals out of the garden now. I love it! Tonight we had beets, rainbow Swiss chard, and creamed potatoes and peas. The kids gobbled it all up. Well, mostly.

Swiss chard is much like spinach or beet greens, but with a slightly milder taste and a meatier texture. I sort of forgot about it mixed in the row with my lettuce, but I think I'll be eating a lot more of it now. It's SOOOO yummy with a little butter and salt. (And isn't it pretty?)
These are our cute red and purple baby potatoes. The purples are just a tiny bit sweet and have a slightly smoother texture. Mason and Ellorie shelled about a quart of peas completely on their own. Nice!

6 comments:

Bryce and Sharee said...

I love peas and potato soup! I'm so jealous...maybe my mom will make this for me when I visit. Yumm

Brittany said...

I need a garden....

Jenni said...

You did a great job with your garden. The food looks wonderful! We weren't able to plant one this year because our yard was still getting landscaped. I am looking forward to planting one next year!

Debbie Murdock said...

I don't think I've ever seen a purple potato before. And here I thought our family was the only one who ate creamed potatoes and peas. We're just starting to get tomatoes, squash and green beans so we'll be enjoying fresh produce soon.

Sally said...

looks yummy

Anna said...

Beautiful produce! I love fresh garden food.