"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Zucchini and Blueberries

Unfortunately we don't have blueberries OR zucchini in our garden, but my mom gave me a huge box of zucchini, and the blueberries were on sale at the grocery store. I think we may have one little zucchini plant that may have survived the wind and hail, but it also might be something else.... I guess we'll see what grows.

Anyway, today I dried a bunch of zucchini into "chips". It was really easy, and they are delicious. Averie loves them. I just sliced them really thin, blanched them for just a second, put them on the drying racks, and put on a little salt and garlic. They taste a lot like potato chips. The trick is to get them REALLY dry. (They are hard to chew if they are still leathery.) I love them! I was planning on using them for dry soup mixes to store, but I don't think they will last that long. I have one more batch to make tomorrow. It took them about 10 hours to dry.

In another attempt to whittle down the pile of zucchini, I made some blueberry zucchini bread. It is REALLY good. Though I recommend waiting until it is completely cooled before cutting. The first one fell apart a little bit. Here is the recipe I used:
  • INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 pint fresh blueberries
Mix/beat together first 4 ingredients. Fold in zucchini, then blend in the next 5 ingredients. Gently fold in blueberries.

Pout into 2 well-greased bread pans. (I used larger ones, and just filled them about half full.)

Bake at 350 degrees for about 75 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
(I'm at a high altitude and this was perfect, but adjust accordingly.)

3 comments:

Brittany said...

What is "blanched"? I really think I should come visit you and learn how to do all of this stuff. I told my mom that we need to go to Patrecia's to learn how to can meat and stuff.

jess said...

yummy.. i am going to make some bread while savannah naps today. thanks.

Dave and Shatzi said...

You are such a domestic diva!! Seriously. That bread sounds SO yummy!!! I think I might steal your dried zucchini idea. We just picked our first one today. The whole freezer idea from last year didn't work out so good. I'm thinking zucchini chips might be better