"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Not-So-Hot Bread.



Once in a while my bread doesn't turn out. Today was one of those days. I had all these great intentions of taking a lovely loaf of bread to the ladies I visit teach. I kept getting distracted this morning, and I got started a little late. I had to grind wheat because I was out of wheat flour, which made it even later. So time to go visiting teaching arrives and the bread dough is just sitting on the counter, with no intention of rising.


So I get home, it seems to sort of have risen, and in the oven it goes. Totally went flat. I've never had that happen before but I'm assuming it was because I just ground the flour and it was really "fluffy", so the bread didn't get enough flour. Pretty sure that's what happened. But man, they are some UGLY loaves. The pictures really don't do them justice. Also, I forgot to grease the pans and had to scrape up the sides when attempting to remove the loaves.

So I guess my ladies won't be getting bread today. It's just been that kind of a week. I thought I would post this so those of you that are getting into the bread making could see what happens to your bread when you don't get enough flour, and/or when you grind the wheat and don't add any extra flour to account for the "fluffiness". I'm just learning. I'll bet it still tastes pretty good. Oh well...

4 comments:

shaina said...

Sometimes that happens. bummer when you were counting on it for something. but I'll bet your house smelled great!

Bryce and Sharee said...

just so you know britt...those actually look much better than my loaves when i attempted to make oatmeal bread...twice

Debbie Murdock said...

Doesn't matter how they look...it's the taste that counts! And I bet they still tasted great. Kinda weird though...I made bread right after I ground wheat a while ago but didn't get the same affect like you did. Just the opposite in fact. Ah well...chalk it up to a learning experience I guess.

Shannon said...

Hey girl, sorry about not getting in touch with you. Loved catching up on your blog. It is always so fun to see what is going on. How are you feeling? I'll call ya soon!