"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Canning Salsa



We love salsa, but I think canning it is a total pain. I've never done it by myself before, so I was gearing up for a big ordeal. I ended up making it in two "sessions" which was much better.


Day one I washed, cut up, and finely chopped all the peppers, jalapenos, onions, and garlic. I had a food chopper but it still took me about two or three hours. This is by far the worst part. Then today all I had to do was dump all the ingredients in my stock pot and prepare the tomatoes. Easy peasy!

Our tomatoes were a motley crew. UGLY. I didn't plant very good varieties for canning. This made it harder to peel and cut them, but it wasn't too terrible. I scoured my kitchen sink, put all the tomatoes in and then poured boiling water over them. This way I can blanch them all at once, and the water cools down pretty quickly so they don't turn all mushy. It worked really well. It took me about two hours to peel and chop the tomatoes. (This includes numerous interruptions helping Averie.) I put the tomatoes into a colander with a bowl underneath to drain off all the excess water and juice. (We don't like the salsa too runny.) And then they were ready to add to the stock pot with all the other ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.

I used the recipe from the Ball Canning Book, but I changed the seasonings. I kept all the proportions the same, and adjusted for altitude, so it's a safe recipe. Here's what I used:

6 cups mixed mild peppers (Anaheim, Bell, Banana, Wax)
2 cups jalapeno peppers
5 cups onions (red and white)
20 cloves minced garlic (the cloves were pretty small)
3 Tb fresh chopped cilantro
1 1/4 c cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
3 Tb salt
1 Tb black pepper
1 Tb onion powder
1 ts garlic powder
1 Tb cumin
10 cups tomatoes (blanched, peeled, chopped, and drained.)

At my higher altitude I processed pints for 25 minutes in a hot water bath leaving 1/4 in head room in the jars. This batch made 11 pints. It's SOOOO yummy!

3 comments:

shaina said...

Good for you!! Love fresh salsa.

Melissa said...

Beautiful job!! How did you pressure cook them? Do you have an outside cooker that uses propane? Just curious.

BrittanyLane said...

Yes, I use my propane stove outside to do all my canning, but I didn't use a pressure cooker, just the big ol' water bath canner. A pressure cooker is on the wish list though... I just haven't gotten around to purchasing one yet.