"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pumpkin Pie- from scratch

Our garden is officially finished. It's a little sad, but just a little. I'm ready for it to be done. We had some successes, a few failures, and know a little more for next year.

Most of our pumpkin plants died, and we only got one, ugly, misshapen pumpkin out of the twenty or so starts. I'm not a pumpkin farmer. We will be purchasing our jack-o-lantern pumpkins this year it seems.

However, it seemed a shame to waste our homely looking garden pumpkin, so I washed and gutted it, cut it up, and baked it for about an hour. I've never made pumpkin pie filling from an actual pumpkin, but it is SO easy, and I think much better than the canned stuff.

All you do is take 3 cups of your mashed up pumpkin, drain the water from it as much as possible, blend it a little (I used a hand blender), season according to your favorite pumpkin pie recipe, and bake as usual. It's slightly thinner than the canned stuff, but is perfect after it's been refrigerated for a day. My pumpkin made enough to freeze for later as well. The kids thought it was pretty awesome to see their pumpkin turn into a pie.




Oh, and here is the felt version: (hee hee)

6 comments:

Anna said...

Fall is my favorite season. I love the food, the weather, the clothes. And I always look forward to pumpkin pie. This post looks delicious!

My mom made pumpkin pie from scratch years ago, but it was really "stringy" and unappetizing. I haven't tried making a fresh pumpkin pie because of her botched attempt. But now that I read your method, I may be a little more adventurous this year.

Dave and Shatzi said...

Yum! Looks good. I have one pie pumpkin that worked. I've been waiting for it to finish ripening before I make pie with it. Pumpkin pie is my absolute FAVORITE!!!

Kelsey Alissa Larsen said...

ohh britt! It's even cuter than I could have ever imagined felt pie to ever be! you inspired my halloween costume this year! don't tell though :) love you

Bryce and Sharee said...

The felt version made me laugh! It is very cute...I have never seen a felt pie before. lol.

Brittany said...

Love Pumpin Pie! Looks delicious!

Brittany said...

Love Pumpin Pie! Looks delicious!