"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Too much sand?





Our garden area is almost pure clay/rock. We didn't have adequate drainage for most of the plants, and it badly needed some fertilizer. Solution: sand and manure. Brandon found a great deal on sand and we ordered a couple of loads. Our garden is HUGE. 40 feet by 60 feet. The people on the phone at various places estimated that we needed 48 cubic yards of sand to cover the garden area in 3 inches of sand. We ordered 2 loads of 20 cubic yards each. Do you realize how much sand that is??? Yeah, we didn't either. It was quite a bit more than needed. Brandon has been working his tail off trying to get the stuff spread and moved around so we can rototill it in and then bring in the manure. Anyone have a tractor?


But on the bright side, the kids have had the county's biggest sand box to play in the last few days. We have sand absolutely everywhere. Thursday afternoon Mason and Ellorie had been playing out there for quite a while. They were in the bathroom laughing hysterically, so I had to investigate. Upon opening the door I discovered them sitting on opposite sides of the sink with their feet in soapy water, and with santa claus bubble beards down to their waists. Bubbles and water everywhere! I wish so badly I would have had my camera. It was so funny, I just couldn't be mad at them.

On the not-so-bright side there are several shoe-fulls (and shoes full) of sand in front of each door, and I can't even imagine how much in the carpet I can't see. Lots of vacuuming this week.

4 comments:

Bryce and Sharee said...

What fun! Your girls are such cutie pies. And Brandon too...of course.

Debbie Murdock said...

A kids paradise! They must be in absolute heaven.

Melissa said...

Jenna is sitting here coloring while I am on the computer. She happened to look over while I was perusing your blog and saw the pictures of the sand. She piped up "See I told you!" She had a blast!

Brittany said...

Braylee would be in heaven! I'll bet your kids are too.