"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Sunday, November 22, 2009

100 Things

One of my cute Young Women in my ward gave a wonderful talk in church about being thankful. She challenged everyone to write down 100 things they are thankful for. Sounds like a lot, right? She said to choose 10 things in the following categories. Thought I'd give it a try. I have so many things to be thankful for...


Ten Living People I am Thankful For: (WOW! Only ten. This one is hard.)
1. My wonderful husband, Brandon.
2. Mason
3. Ellorie
4. Averie
5. This sweet baby growing and kicking inside my big ol' belly
6. My mother.
7. My grandparents (more than one I know, but I'm cheating a bit here.)
8. More fantastic family members than I can possibly name
9. Super In-laws
10.Good neighbors and friends

Ten deceased people I am thankful for:
1. My Dad
2. Joseph Smith
3. My pioneer ancestors
4. My Great-Grandma Bowden
5. Gordon B. Hinckley
6. Soldiers that have given their lives for the freedoms I enjoy every day.
7. Our Founding Fathers
8. Inspired inventors and innovators that came up with all the miraculous gadgets and thingies we use every day.
9. Courageous people that have given their lives standing up for good things.
10. Numerous artists, especially women artists that paved the way..

Ten Physical abilities I am thankful for:
1. The use of my hands. Especially when my nerve problems make them hard to use. I'm thankful for the use of my hands every single day.
2. My eyesight. Even though I need glasses to see. I'm so grateful for my vision.
3. The ability and desire to create things, art, crafts, etc.
4. The ability to walk, run, move, have use of my legs.
5. I am so grateful for the miracle of having a baby. Every single day of this little one growing and moving is a blessing.
6. Ears to hear
7. A voice to speak and sing
8. I'm grateful for the ability to ride horses, even though I can't do that right now.
9. The ability to read and understand.
10. The ability to learn new things.

Ten Physical Possessions I am thankful for:
1. My comfortable bed
2. Our new (used) kitchen table
3. Dependable cars that run and work properly
4. Our home
5. My computer
6. My sewing machine, recently fixed
7. Books and scriptures
8. My wedding ring (though it doesn't fit on my puffy fingers most days now.)
9. My camera
10. the piano

Ten things in nature I am thankful for:
1. The changing of the seasons
2. sunsets
3. flowers, especially tulips
4. Variety of plants and trees in different places such as the contrast between desert, ocean, forest, etc.
5. Preying mantises and ladybugs. Ask my daughters.
6. Miracles of seeds. Plants growing.
7. Mountains
8. Animals. Especially horses.
9. Cloud formations
10. Huckleberries and yummy things that grow in nature with no help whatsoever.

Ten things about today I am thankful for:
1. Averie went in the potty three times, all by herself. (This is major, people.)
2. Snow. Really!
3. Brandon playing the piano. So nice.
4. My beautiful children that were decently behaved all day long. Even through church.
5. I love and am thankful for quiet, peaceful Sunday afternoons without any responsibilities.
6. Phone calls with loved ones.
7. Hot cocoa on a cold day.
8. Quick cooking meals when everyone is starving.
9. Good, caring, consistent home teachers. We haven't had very many since we've been married.
10. Going to church with everyone HEALTHY!

Ten places on Earth I am thankful for: (Limited to places I've actually been.)
1. Home.
2. Idaho
3. Grandma's house (all of them.)
4. Temples
5. The mountains. (The Bighorns, the Tetons, Timpanogos, lots of them... so beautiful.)
6. Art museums
7. The Oregon Coast
8. Utah County, Utah. Though we will most likely never live there again.
9. Bighorn county, Wyoming. I wouldn't be the same person without the time I spent there.
10. The United States of America, though things seem pretty messed up sometimes, I am SO grateful to live in a free country!

Ten Modern Inventions I am thankful for:
I'm not sure how modern we're talking here, but here are some things I'm thankful for nearly every day.
1. Indoor plumbing
2. Heated water
3. Communication devices
4. Modern Transportation
5. Central Air
6. Dishwasher
7. Washing machine
8. The internet
9. Modern Medicine. Specifically epidurals. (I'd rather not do the "all natural" birth again. Seriously grateful for epidurals.)
10. Hmm... I'm going to go with electricity. Pretty general, but very important.

Ten Foods I'm thankful for:
1. Homemade bread
2. Crock pot dinners that I can toss together in the morning and have totally ready when we're hungry.
3. Garden vegetables. I'm missing them already.
4. Produce available in the middle of the winter. Seriously so wonderful!
5. Oatmeal. Sounds ridiculous, but my kids eat it nearly every morning for breakfast. What would I do without it?
6. garlic, basil, fresh spices.
7. Sushi. My complete favorite.
8. Food storage. Especially the stuff I bottled this year.
9. Thanksgiving dinner. So yummy. I can't wait!
10. Soup. I just love soup. Nearly any kind.

Ten things about the Gospel of Jesus Christ I am thankful for:
1. Eternal Families
2. Repentance and Forgiveness
3. Temple blessings
4. Relief Society
5. Visiting/Home teachers
6. Priesthood blessings
7. Personal Prayer and Revelation
8. Living Prophets
9. The Book of Mormon
10. The Primary, to help teach my children the things I'm trying to teach them.

Whew, and that was 100. I could add hundreds more to my lists. I'm so thankful for so many things in my life! This was a fun challenge. If you happen to read this, give it a try--even if you don't share it with anyone. Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Debbie Murdock said...

Woohoo...shout out to Idaho...oh I miss you so! Awesome list my friend. Just had to smile at your thankful for medicine(epidurals) and then there's crazy people like me that choose to go natural...don't know what I'm thinking.

Brittany said...

Good job with Avery and the potty! I'll have to try this. I should write down things I'm thankful for more often.