"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Produce Co-op

When we first moved here I was so sad to leave my produce co-op group. I lamented its loss for a good year. Well, last week my friend and neighbor told me about this new produce co-op program that has just come to our area! I was super excited. It's set up completely different from the one in Utah, so I wasn't sure it would be the same value, but it appears to be the real deal.


Here's how it works: You order Tuesday or Wednesday online, pay with a credit card, select your baskets and pick-up site, and get your confirmation number. Then Saturday at a designated time you pick up your super fresh fruits and veggies. They were very organized and really easy to work with.

This is what I got today for only $15. (plus a $3.00 charge for first time customers.)


Today it was 9 apples, 7 oranges, 6 roma tomatoes, 10 pears, 5 zucchini, 5 cucumbers, 1 large carton of strawberries, 2 baby seedless watermelons, a large bunch of bananas (8), a large head of leaf lettuce, 3 green peppers, and a large head of broccoli. Not too shabby! It would cost a LOT more than that in the grocery store. (I should go price it out and see how much... but I'm not quite that ambitious.) Everything was the highest quality and looks delicious.

They also offer citrus baskets, mexican ingredient baskets, bread baskets, etc. Every week is something new. It seems to be a comparable value to the group I was with in Utah. I'm so excited to have it again, especially through the winter. Another bonus is that you aren't committed to order every week or two. You can order every time, or just occasionally.

If you are interested you might want to check your area. This group is called Bountiful Baskets, and they deliver to groups in Utah, Idaho, Washington, and Arizona. I'm excited to try some of the other baskets.

YUM!!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I've never heard of that. Sounds like a great idea! You are amazing. I wish I could get half of what you get done in a day!

carol said...

Wow! This sounds awesome. I'm definitely going to check it out!

Anna said...

Gorgeous produce at an unbelievable price. What a good find! I love supporting local growers. I wish they serviced Alabama.

Dave and Shatzi said...

I'm so excited about all of this food! The kids can't get enough of the fruit. It'll be fun to see what they have next time. =) Thanks for coming with me.