"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Friday, January 29, 2010

Back To Bread

I was exhausted today after a few nights without adequate sleep. Stayed in my pajamas all day. I should have napped, but Averie wasn't allowing that. So I made bread while my baby slept. Probably not the wisest decision, and I'm sure I'll deeply regret it at about 3 am. But for now, I'm enjoying the bread.


I got a really cool bread book for Christmas, which I have read twice and have been dying to try every single recipe. They are all fancy artesian breads made with "pre-ferments" and about 20 complicated steps. Today I tried traditional Ciabatta bread.



I made the pre-ferment (called "poolish")a few days ago and had it in the fridge ready to go. It was harder to follow the directions than I expected, especially with all the distractions. (Averie's constant "helping" and numerous interruptions to feed and take care of Rylan.) It was somewhat amazing that the bread came out edible at all. I accidentally formed the loaves before the final rising which popped all the beautiful air bubbles forming in the loaves. They still taste pretty amazing though. They made a mean sandwich for dinner.




While I was up to my elbows in flour I decided to make a few baguettes on my new baguette pan and use up the fresh rosemary from my last produce co-op. I made some SUPER yummy garlic rosemary bread. It's so very yummy. I hope my family helps me eat it, or I just might eat all three loaves myself. That would be bad. The recipe I used was from another blog, (click HERE for the recipe.) and was super simple and easy to follow. I just added garlic chunks as well as the rosemary it calls for.




I don't know why I always have to over do things. I think I'm ready for bed now. Hope the baby sleeps a little tonight.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

You are amazing! I stay in my jammies everyday.

Bryce and Sharee said...

I would help you eat those! They look delicious. I can almost taste the rosemary garlic bread. Yum!