"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Friday, January 22, 2010

Pandemonium: Adjusting to life with Four




Rylan is two weeks old today! I think that means I've officially survived. Or something like that. He is such a super good baby. I feel so blessed to have him in our family. He is so much fun to hold and cuddle.

And I don't want to jinx anything, but I have to brag a little:

He actually sleeps at night.

I'm serious.

Like I have to wake him up to eat, or he will sleep all night.

I'm not holding my breath. I realize this may be a temporary development, but I'll take it. All my other children woke up (continue to wake up...) every hour of the night to eat/drink/scream/whatever. Mason did that until he was potty trained. Sometimes after. With night terrors nearly every night. I'm not exaggerating. Averie STILL wakes up on a regular basis at night. My kids do NOT sleep well.

I was all geared up for the newborn zombie phase where I adjust to functioning on little to zero sleep... and I'm the one waking him up. I'm still sort of shocked.

So things are going great. I really, really, really appreciate all the meals, help, cards, gifts, and kind words since I've had the baby. Thank you! You know who you are.

We're adjusting to normal life again. Attempting to keep the house in order, getting back on a reasonable schedule, etc. Tax season is upon us and we really miss having Brandon (a.k.a Dad) home. The kids only get to see him for a few quick minutes in the morning if they are up in time. They are sound asleep before he gets home from work. We hate tax season. Hate it. Dinner times are a bit harried with Brandon gone, but we don't really eat conventional dinners either, so it's a bit easier. Someone wants leftovers, great. Oh, you want scrambles eggs? Super. How about sandwiches? Perfect. {Insert multi-tasking skills here.} Then it's time for homework, getting ready for bed, crazy, crazy, crazy.... then suddenly everyone is quiet.

And I'm LOVING my food co-op about now. A huge variety of fresh fruits and vegetables every two weeks for super cheap. I hardly ever have to go to the grocery store. They just opened a new location really close to our house, so it's even easier. Last week I couldn't believe how much there was. We've been madly eating fruits and veggies to finish them before the next order.

Uh... I think the Babylegs are still a bit too big. Bummer. So cute anyway. They are my absolute favorite baby accessory.

8 comments:

Bryce and Sharee said...

Just seeing him in his babylegs shows how small he is! I love them too...so cute. I decided to look up if we have a food co-op here and we do! BUT it isn't cheap:( Too bad. It is all organic so maybe that is why. You are so lucky to be able to sleep at night! I hope he stays that way for you!

Sharon said...

Jayne was the same way, she slept through the night, and i always had to wake her up, it was bliss! And she's still a good sleeper, hopefully Rylan will be the same. It's a bummer brandon has to work a ton again, we should hang on one of your lonely lnights

Sally said...

Very cute! I've never seen baby legs before! How do they stay up/on?

Dave and Shatzi said...

Those babylegs are so cute!!! And for the record, I am EXTREMELY jealous of the sleeping all night. We're getting there, though. Some nights are better than others.
BTW, my sister-in-law helped at the last co-op pick up and they said most of the food we got on the last batch was organic. SCORE!

Brittany said...

That's great that he sleeps so well. Hopefully he stays that way. Braylee was a great newborn night sleeper, but not so much when she turned one. But now she does good. Rylan is so adorable and tiny.

Debbie Murdock said...

Macey ended up doing the sleeping a lot phase...it lasted for 6 months then she decided it would be cool to wake up 50 thousand times a night until she was 1. Still now she wakes me up during the night either giggling in her sleep or crying because she's not comfortable.

jess said...

He is such a cutie. I have a little something for him, but we have all been really sick, but feeling better this week, so I'll run it over sometime. I LOVE the baby legs..it's even cuter that they are a little tooo big..so cute.

Heather said...

Hope the sleeping continues. I'm very jealous! Kloee had just started sleeping all night at 2 months and now she is teething. She is not even 3 months yet!