"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Soap Lessons and Ten Reasons I Love Soap

This weekend my sister-in-law, Melissa came over to learn how to make soap. We made a batch of oatmeal almond, and then she made another batch which we divided in half at trace and scented half with "Edward" and half with "Polynesian Red" and added poppy seeds.


The "split" batch we poured into milk cartons for a mold. I'm excited to see how they turn out. I'll post a link HERE to her blog if she posts pictures.


My house has the most intoxicating almond scent upstairs now. I have to make a batch for myself, purely for the smell. It's been making me hungry for something almond flavored though...

Here are the almond oatmeal bars. A-MAZ-ING smell! (They are also included in the options for the giveaway.)



So people keep asking, "Why soap?" Well, here are some reasons I love making cold-process soap:

1. It's incredibly moisturizing. More than Dove, or "moisturizing" body wash, or anything else I have tried. I've never been a bar soap person, but I will probably never go back.

2. Lather! And without any detergent. (The coconut oil is what gives it the super lather.)
3. I know what's in it. Have you ever read the ingredients for soap or body wash from the store? It's mostly detergent and chemicals. None of it actually has soap anymore, and most doesn't even contain glycerin. Some of those chemicals and additives are really bad for you. And they dry out your skin. (See #1)

4. It smells heavenly, mostly because I can choose any scent I like. Or I can choose to leave out the fragrance entirely. But I think one of the fun parts is choosing the scents.

5. It's really fun to make. I feel like a mad scientist or chemist or something. It's just technical enough to keep me on my toes without being overly complicated. I'm finding that soap-making is actually quite addictive. It's also fun to teach, share, trade and GIVEAWAY (hint hint).


6. This one is debatable, but I'm going to say it anyway: it's economical. Sure, you can add all the fancy oils and fragrances and make a batch of soap that costs upwards of 2-3-4 dollars a bar, but you can also make it with any oils you have around and a couple bucks worth of lye. The batches we made yesterday averaged just over $ .50 per bar. You couldn't come close to that in the stores when you consider the quality.

7. I know how to make soap. How cool is that? Definitely a plus for the provident living thing.

8. It's good, strong soap, and stands up to the "man" test. Glycerin soap is nice, but it doesn't quite have the cleaning power of real soap. (It's a little strong for the kids to use without supervision and it stings like crazy if you get it in your eyes.) It also tingles in cuts or broken skin, but that's just a sign that the soap is doing its job.

9. It's another creative outlet. One that is a bit more constructive than some of my endeavors. I have stayed up late more than one night planning the next batch of soap.
I know. I have some problems... I'm working on it...

10. We will never, ever run out of soap again. : )

2 comments:

shaina said...

I think it's beautiful and you are turning me into a bar soap lover.

Anna said...

When I live closer you simply must teach me how to make it. I agree with all of your reasons, and would LOVE to learn this creative, beautiful & practical craft.