"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spearmint Eucalyptus Exfoliating Bar

Yes, more soap. I think I have two more batches to go, so you'll just have to bear with me...


This time I wanted to add something exfoliating into the batch. After some research I selected poppy seeds, mostly for their low cost and high availability. I added 3 Tablespoons to my normal size batch. This is the "olive oil" recipe I used for the lavender soap.


The fragrance is "Spearmint Eucalyptus", and I used the recommendation for a "strong" scent, but it isn't very strong. I would have added at least another quarter ounce. Next time I'll use 1.7 or 1.8 ounce. I DO really like the scent though. It's lightly minty without being overpowering. The eucalyptus and spearmint go really nicely together. It has a very fresh and clean smell to it.


This fragrance also accelerated the trace, which means it set up really, really fast once I poured in the fragrance oil. It was a little lumpy on the top because it's a lot harder to pour out smooth soap once it starts to thicken. Imagine really thick instant pudding. (You can kind of see the lumps in the picture.) If I would have waited 30 seconds more it would have been a disaster. But it turned out just about perfectly.


And I think the poppy seeds are quite pretty.


I can't wait to try all these fun new soaps!



And by the way: my soap "giveaway" is still open if you want one of these beauties. Click HERE for details. You have until April 30th to enter.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

the poppy seeds are pretty! we might need to have a soap making date, i'm starting to dream of soap!

Dave and Shatzi said...

I made some soap while Dave was gone too. I'm still going to blog about it (someday, anyway). It turned out pretty good. The first batch had a bunch of tiny bubbles on the top, but it set up just fine. You are an amazing teacher! I want to make more but the stick blender I just bought totally quit working (just thought you'd want a heads up). It quit right in the middle of a batch (in the middle of the night) so I got to hand stir like crazy. I need to call the company and see if I can get my $$ back. Bummer, huh?

Debbie Murdock said...

You're so funny...I love your obsessive ventures. Reminds me of me when I'm not pregnant.