"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Splendid Soap

It has to be unhealthy to obsess over things the way I do, but I just can't help it. I've been dreaming of soap again at nights. Thinking about new forms, things I can add, combinations of fragrances and oils. It's unhealthy I tell you. I've been just dying to make more soap, and finally just dove in.

My friend Shatzi came over yesterday and I helped her make a batch of Coconut Lime Verbena. I was a little afraid of this fragrance oil because of the soap monster that erupted from the mold last time I used that oil. But that was my very first batch, and I've learned a lot since then. I got all of my supplies from Majestic Mountain Sage again, and I've been reading up on cold process soap, so I feel a lot more comfortable changing up recipes.

I'm quite a seasoned soap maker now. (ha ha ha)

Okay, not really, but I feel like I sorta know what I'm doing now.

I didn't take any decent pictures, but you can refer to the lavender soap I made with my mom last week if you want details. Pretty much the same process and a similar recipe. We used avocado oil instead of olive oil, and changed the fragrance oil to half of the "coconut lime verbena", and half "lime essential oil, expressed" and I think it drastically improved the smell. (It smells much more like the coconut lime verbena from B&BW.) It was smooth and beautiful and turned out about perfectly.

And then...

The creative side of my brain took over my body...

As it has been known to do...

From time to time...

And I shirked my household responsibilities for the rest of the afternoon...

And made...

(you guessed it)

More soap.

And it seems I have a very difficult time restraining myself to sticking to a recipe. It needed to be pretty. It was screaming for something fun and funky. And my first original soap recipe was born.

I made a scrumptious batch I like to call Cocoa Berry Swirl. My own invention, and I have to say I'm pretty proud of the way it turned out. My family is pretty sick of me talking about my yummy, pretty, soap. But it is SO yummy and pretty. I can't wait to use it. See for yourself:


Cool, huh! I still can't get over how well it turned out. And it smells amazing. Okay, I'm going to stop gushing over my soapmaking prowess, and tell about how it was made.

I followed the basic recipe using coconut oil, lard, canola oil, avocado oil, lye and distilled water.


When the soap started to trace I mixed in the fragrance called Polynesian Red. It's a blend of pomegranate with a bit of pineapple, red grapefruit, green apple, mango and moss. I really like the fragrance. But I thought it would be nice with chocolate too. I mean, doesn't chocolate make everything better?

So then I removed 2 cups of the soap mixture while it was still at a thin trace and mixed it with 4 Tablespoons of cocoa powder.

Then I poured the uncolored soap into the mold and drizzled the chocolate mixture onto the plain. I didn't get pictures while it was in the bowl. I had to hurry before the soap hardened.



Then I took a chopstick and marbled the two colors together.

And this morning I cut it into bars. I LOVE IT! It has a yummy, berry-ey, slightly fruity smell, with a hint of chocolate. But more importantly, it's cool-looking. Okay. I'm done gushing.


And if YOU want one of these pretty bars and haven't entered "the giveaway" yet, click HERE to read the details. Deadline is April 30th.

11 comments:

Kirsa said...

That soap is so pretty Brittany! I love it! You are so good at stuff like this.

Dave and Shatzi said...

Very cool!!!! You'll have to let me know how it works. I can't quit talking about soap over here either. I think I'm driving everyone crazy. But, it's so fun!!! I ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday to make more. Thanks so much for teaching me!!

Sally said...

It's very pretty. I want to eat it, not wash in it!

shaina said...

That looks lovely and sounds like it smells delicious. I say, if you are obsessed about something, then go for it. I think it's a nice thing to be obsessed about.

We love the smell of lemon, and currently have a lemongrass poppyseed soap. The poppyseeds add color, but also add a little bit of scrubbing action.

Jana said...

you quite honestly are the most talented person I know! Neat soap!

Sharon said...

oooh, i don't even know what to say! you're amazing, i hope i win! maybe you can rig the drawing? just kidding! but seriously....

Brittany said...

I love it! Very pretty!

Anna said...

Those look gorgeous. Almost good enough to eat!

Shannon said...

WOW! That looks amazing and am sure that it smells just as good! You're awesome! Hope all is well!

thesage.com said...

Congratulations on the honorable mention for the MMS Perfumer's Kit! Beautiful swirls!
Andee

canfieldfive said...

Wow, that looks like so much fun- we've got a houseful of chocoholics, so we'd love to try this! Congratulations on your MMS honorable mention for this delicious post!

Your swirls are gorgeous too- would you mind sharing your swirling secrets with us sometime? :-D Everyone keeps asking us when we're going to swirl some soap but it's still an intimidating thought!

-Gwen and Cheyenne