"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spring Break + Snow Day = Idaho

I was all revved up for the kids to go back to school yesterday so I could finally get the house put back together after spring break.

No dice.

6 am the phone rings telling us that school has been cancelled due to extreme weather. That means snow. Lots of snow. Super.

And not that I have anything against snow. It was actually a beautiful, sunny, day with clean, crisp snow all over the ground. But I'm just wondering why they call it "spring" break.

I mean, why not wait a month when it sort of resembles spring outside? Who knows.

Does this look like spring to you?


Ellorie had the time of her life rolling around in the snow with Rocket. Mason went along with it too. Averie played inside. She doesn't like being cold. Or being mauled by the dogs.

But she did color this cute picture she calls, "Two Wolves". I think it's darling.


I had a big ol' pot of soup cooking in the crock pot, and had big baking and cleaning plans for the day. But at about 9 am the power suddenly went out. And never returned. We were without power for almost eight hours.

We have no
water,
stove,
lights,
phone,
heat,
flushing toilets,
internet,
or anything else when the power goes out.

So much for baking and cleaning. Kinda hard to mop the floor and do laundry without water. I eventually cranked up the gas camping stove to save my soup. I used up what remained of the propane though, and it really started me thinking...

What if the power would have been out for much longer than one day? Sure, we have tons of food storage, but what good is a 50 pound sack of beans without water and heat to cook them with? How cold would our house become in a week without a furnace? What happens after all the stored water is gone and we can't get anything out of our well? How do I cook things after all the propane is gone? We don't have a fire place here, or even fire wood to start a fire outdoors if it came to that. It's really hard to store more than a couple weeks worth of fuel and water.

It's amazing how just a few hours without power makes us realize how completely we depend upon it. And suddenly that manual well pump moves up on the priority list.

On a positive note, the power came back on just before dinner. The soup was delicious, we were all warm and safe, and it really was a pretty fun day. The toilets could finally be flushed, laundry could be started, dishes done, floor vacuumed, things cleaned up. The furnace kicked on and warmed up the house, the phone and internet were once again connected to the outside world, and the stove kept the soup warm, then the refrigerator kept it cold. And I counted and continue to count my blessings.

I know that electricity is certainly not a necessity in life, though we may think it to be so. But I still feel very blessed that I have so many comforts and conveniences in my day-to-day life. I would have been a lousy pioneer.




p.s. Don't forget to enter the giveaway from yesterday's post if you haven't already! Deadline is April 30th.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I would have been a lousy pioneer too. Thanks for the reminder to be prepared!

Brittany said...

Crazy day! Yeah I need to be prepared for no heat or stove and make sure I have enough water.

Debbie Murdock said...

My husband is crazy and loves it when the power goes out. They have these cool 55 gallon water thingy's at Macey's in Logan for water storage. It's scary to think how much we rely on everything to keep up working from day to day.