"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Springing into Spring

It's true that spring is slow to come around these parts, but I think it's safe to say that it's finally here. It may snow again once or twice, but once it's time to cut the grass and plant the garden, we move outdoors.

I've seen lots o' blogs boasting of beautiful tulips in bloom, but ours are just starting out. I love tulips. I bought a bunch last fall that are still in my basement because the ground froze solid before I had a chance to get them in. Oh well. Next year.


Brandon is finally done with the dreaded "tax season" and we are immensely enjoying his presence around here. He hasn't had much of a chance to relax though.

Friday he fertilized the lawn. Saturday he went and got two big loads of manure and spread it in the garden. Monday he tilled it all in, set up the watering system, and got it all ready for planting.

Today I'm planting the cold weather seeds. Peas, onion starts, lettuces, swiss chard, spinach, celery (never tried it before), carrots, beets, cabbage, and brussel sprouts. If this baby will ever let me put him down and if Averie will stay out of the road. And those are pretty big "ifs". Gardening this summer may prove to be a little more difficult than last year. We'll see.

It's a big garden. (40 feet by 60 feet) Any bigger and we'd have to call ourselves farmers. It's hard to appreciate the scale in these pictures, but it is really, really large.

Here's a close up of Brandon's ingenious watering system. It worked wonderfully last year.


The kids love, love, LOVE being out in the sunshine. Rocket is also overjoyed to have so many playmates and so much attention.


Rylan even tolerates sitting in the shade, though he really dislikes the wind. He smiles for the attention of his sisters as they pass by.

Yay for spring!!

3 comments:

The Wendt Wagon said...

Your garden is overwhelming in pictures. i can not even imagine what it looks like in person. You are amazing. I would so kill all those plants with my very black thumb.

Melissa said...

This might sound like a weird comment, but your garden soil looks so rich and productive. If you think you got large yields last year . . . just wait. Yay - that feels so great to have your garden in!

Anna said...

I envy your garden. When we eventually have our own home I hope to have a nice-sized garden; maybe not 40x60 though---that is a little too ambitious for me. I'm growing basil in a planter and it is simply divine!!!

Cute pictures of the kids. I'm sure they have been antsy to be outside in warmer weather.