"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Friday, May 14, 2010

Funny Face





My sweet baby has horrible eczema all over his face and ears. It makes me sad. He itches and scratches it non-stop, which only exacerbates the problem.


His ears ooze and his cheeks are frequently bloody from his itching. He has had mittens or socks on his hands since the day he was born, more or less. I'm afraid he's never going to learn to use his hands. We take them off occasionally to "air out", and as you can see by his nose, he attacks his face instantly. Poor baby.

We've tried a lot of different things. The only thing that worked was the drug Elidel, which I found out has been put on the FDA's black box warning list as a cancer-causing drug (super.) We threw away. (Sorry, we'd rather have scars than cancer.)

I'm trying several different things right now and they seem to be helping a little. We'll see. I'm also "going off" some common foods he may be allergic to, to see if it helps. (Nuts and dairy for now.)

He's such a good and happy boy. He doesn't complain about his scratchy, goopy, oozing face. But unfortunately I don't get out the camera as much as I should to document his darling smiles and expressions. He's such a sweetheart and such a happy addition to our family.

4 comments:

Debbie Murdock said...

Maryn is the same way...we found that bag balm helps out a ton. I know that sounds totally weird. We use it more for her body though...I'm not sure how it would work on the face. I'll have to check if my steroid treatment is the same as your prescription because when it gets really bad that usually helps tremendously but cancer is not cool.

Sharon said...

pooe baby, jayne had one bad spot by her ear, and she would just bleed and ooze from itching it all night long. i finally covered it with a bandaid til it mostly healed, and put bag balm on it too!

Michael and Stephanie said...

Poor little guy. He's still pretty darn cute.

Heather said...

Poor Rylan. I have eczema and I hate it! He is so adorable, though and I love the red hair.