"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Summer Adventures #3, 4, 5, and 6

At risk of burning myself out for the entire summer, we had an adventurous day downtown. Probably I should only allow one adventure per day, but we're packing it all in here.

First: Feed the ducks on the Greenbelt.

The kids have been begging for months to feed the ducks, but when opportunities arise, the weather has been uncooperative. It was halfway decent today, so we decided to brave the wind:

We actually fed the ducks twice today, because the first time we were on the wrong side of the river. The little baby goslings were so stinkin' cute!



Second: Drive to the Library that wasn't open yet, followed by walking to the art museum that wasn't open yet, followed by, "hey, look! A great playground."


Ellorie's favorite part was holding the orange flag while walking across the crosswalk.


Third: Walk back to the library which was finally open. (What kind of public library opens at 10:00 am? I must be getting old.) Visit the koi (fat goldfish) pond, play on the library computers, find cool books, check out books, and have a snack on the grass.

And fourth: Walk, yet again, to the art museum, which now charges admission by the way. I needed to pay my yearly "artist dues" anyway, so the nice lady at the front desk let the kids in free with my membership fee. Thank ya kindly.

Mason thought it was super cool that my paintings were hanging in the museum. There was also a very cool show of Ian Boyden's gigantic prints made of his "homemade" pigments. Mason was totally fascinated that the prints were made out of ground up rocks, shark teeth, whale ear bones, and various minerals. He's kinda into rock collecting at the moment.

The museum also has this great kids room with all kinds of hand-on toys, tools, and gadgets. I can wander around and the kids stay right in the "toy" room. They love it.

Rylan had another major diaper blow-out after we had been at the museum for a while, so it was time to trek back to the car. (It may also be time to find a new brand of diapers...)

It was a fun and adventurous morning. And I need a nap.

4 comments:

Bryce and Sharee said...

Sounds fun and amazing that you did all that just in the morning. Looks like a pretty cool library with fish to feed!!

Heather said...

You are way more adventurous than I am. I try not to go too many places and I only have 3!

The Wendt Wagon said...

What a fun mom. Our library does not open till 2:00pm on mondays and 11:00 on the other days. I have gone there quite a few times and they are closed. Seriously so sad. What a fun excursion, and how neat to see mommys art hanging on the wall. You are amazing.

idasale said...

I have the same problem with the library and I am having the same problem with diapers too! It is driving me crazy!