"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Slipping...



I keep slipping into a vortex of housework, laundry, feeding people, and caring for kids otherwise known as being a busy mom. Nothing else has been getting done lately. I keep saying "maybe today I'll finally have time to..." But I never do.

Sometimes being responsible stinks.

I took this picture this morning at
5-something a.m.
"Why?", you ask.
This:



He really is such a cute little booger. I can't complain too much. Rylan is teething. He woke every hour last night. Today may not be a productive one, but I'm determined to at least update the blog. (And maybe take a nap. I'm exhausted.)


I found this hilarious post the other night at 1:30 a.m. as I was feeding aforementioned booger while attempting to catch up on blog reading. (It was crude in spots, but I stole some of my favorite images and must share.)


This is how I feel most mornings. I have my list in hand and am ready to conquer all the things!

And then the day happens and the jobs pile up. And I feel a little more like this:


The funny thing is, I never used to care about having a clean house. On any given day you could find me up to my elbows in creative messes and crazy projects. Now that it's more difficult to keep up on the mess, I actually care that it's not clean. Go figure. Maybe I just realize/fear that if I let it get to a certain point of messy it will NEVER be clean again. EVER. (Hey, it could happen.)

Those busy mama's with 4 kids that manage to keep it all together, get dressed up every day, have a clean house, and do anything extra beyond that completely amaze me. If you are one of those fantastic women, you deserve some sort of award. I mean, it's nearly noon and I'm still in my pajamas.

I think it's the vacations that throw me for a loop. It takes a full week to recover from any sort of overnight outing, and then we inevitably do it again. The fun is usually worth it, but the aftermath kills me!

On these days I try to retain a little perspective and remember what is REALLY important. My mind keeps returning to this talk by Julie B. Beck. My favorite from last General Conference.

Specifically this part:

A good woman knows that she does not have enough time, energy, or opportunity to take care of all of the people or do all of the worthy things her heart yearns to do. Life is not calm for most women, and each day seems to require the accomplishment of a million things, most of which are important. A good woman must constantly resist alluring and deceptive messages from many sources telling her that she is entitled to more time away from her responsibilities and that she deserves a life of greater ease and independence. But with personal revelation, she can prioritize correctly and navigate this life confidently.

*SIGH*

So as much as I would like to just run away at times, I know I chose this. I love my life! I love my kids, and their messes, and all the busy responsibilities I sometimes want to shirk. I can handle this. (With a little help from the Lord.)

Pressing forward.

3 comments:

carol said...

Uh- I so know exactly what you mean. However, I will say that I think of you as one of those mom's who have it all together. you paint (and are featured in museums and art showsfor said paintings), make fantastic smelling and feeling soap (and teach others how as well), your house has never been messy when I've seen it, you are on top of Visiting teaching (including going repeatedly to houses when girls aren't home). I just got exhausted typing that, let alone getting my chores done. The fact that you love your life & kids shows in everything you do. you are pretty much amazing. :)

Dave and Shatzi said...

I love it!!! I never realized this mom business was such hard work! I love that quote from Julie B. Beck. Such a good reminder. And, I too have to constantly remind myself that I am living my dream life. I wanted nothing more than to be a stay at home mom so I really am blessed to have what I have.

Marie said...

you are way too hard on yourself. Lighten up and enjoy this amazing journey that you are on.