"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Friday, September 24, 2010

Wild 'Shrooms

While Brandon was on the "man" trip, they found some of these huge mushrooms.  Some campers they met up there were gathering them to eat.




They are called Chanterelles, and are apparently ingredients of gourmet cuisine.

The other campers ate them one night, and nobody died, so the brave men decided to partake.  Apparently they were delicious.  So delicious, in fact, that Mr. Allen brought me some specimens to try for myself.



Did I dare?



We grilled them with some walla walla onions in a little olive oil.  And.... Oh my!  Amazing.



(Uh, they really weren't as greasy as they look in this picture.)

Chanterelle.

Chanterelle.

Chanterelle.

Such a fancy name.  I guess they are really expensive to buy.  And let me tell you why...

They are YUMMMY!  I would describe them as rich, mild, tender, and somewhat firm.  They have a very subtle flavor, but have a quality about them that is hard to describe.  Comparing them to ordinary button mushrooms is like comparing lobster to imitation krab.  Similar flavor, but completely different richness and quality.

And while I do not endorse, recommend, or encourage anyone to pluck, eat, or otherwise consume wild fungi of any kind...  I'm really glad I tried these.

No comments: