"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Monday, October 11, 2010

Christmas-ing

It's official, I've started Christmas-ing.


I usually start WAY before now. In fact, some years I'm finished by now. What is Christmasing you ask?

It basically entails using my many useful, diverse, somewhat unusual, and varied creative skills to come up with thoughtful and meaningful gifts to give my loved ones. Some of these said skills leave much to be desired.

Case in point: sewing.

I love sewing. I also don't really know how to sew. I couldn't follow a clothing pattern to save my life. (Well, maybe I could figure it out if it were really going to save my life... but you get my drift.) I think I took one semester of sewing in 8th grade. And that's it.

But as you may have gathered from my many blogs, I sorta like to make stuff up. Sewing proves to be no exception. I just pretend like I know what I'm doing, and sometimes it works out. Sometimes I also end up tossing it. It's a risk I'm willing to take. Maybe that's why I like to sew. So....

This week I broke out the old Bernina 830, and took it for a spin around the block. Metaphorically. Not literally. It's too heavy for a spin around the block. And that doesn't even make sense. That's what I get when I blog to close to bed time...

Now where was I? Oh yeah, Christmas-ing.

One sad thing about Christmas-ing is that I can't share all my step-by-step goodies with my readers because some of the projects are intended for "said" readers. I'll post as much as I can without giving away all my Christmas secrets. Just know that if I don't post too often that I'm probably busy Christmas-ing.



Averie is still home with me during the days, so she gets to see all the projects. (Most of the ones I'm working on right now aren't for her anyway.) She is totally fascinated with the sewing machine. She watches it and giggles and tells me repeatedly that it's a silly machine.

She was begging me to make something for her, so we threw together this little lizard the other day. He's a bean bag I guess, because we stuffed him with pinto beans. It kept her occupied for the better part of a day, so it was totally worth it. It took about 5 minutes and has produced hours of joy.






I don't know what it is with these girls and their creepy crawlies...

So what are you Christmas-ing this year?

12 comments:

Sharee said...

I love that it ONLY took you 5 minutes. It would probably take me half the day to figure out how! Lol. Very cute and nice for Averie to have such a creative mother!

shaina said...

i like it! My kids like to hold on to little toys. Makes them feel secure.

Sharon said...

I like it, it is pretty cute! i want to see the other project we were figuring out from the other night.... did you finish it? (them?)

Anna said...

First, I am usually done Christmas shopping by now. Your blog reminds me that I haven't done a thing so far and need to get on it.

Second, you are WAY too talented. I love your fun creations and wonder where you find the time????

Darren and Tessa said...

I've started too!!! I actually started A LOT earlier this year because Sydney, I'm down to about 4 gifts left, I'd tell you what they are but I cant it will ruin the SUPRISE!!! I love seeing what your up to though Cant wait to see you guys!

Debbie Murdock said...

Usually I make blankets and wall hangings from my digital scrapbook stuff but I think I ran out of gas. Still trying to figure out how to balance a 2 year old and 4 month old. Hopefully I can at least do my truffles this year and start and finish Mason's blanket.

Shannon said...

You are always coming up with the cutest things and are soooo creative.

Sally said...

Very cute lizard! The only thing I'm 'making' for Christmas is this baby!

The Wendt Wagon said...

I love Christmasing too. I am sewing a lot of books and doing glass etching. I am behind on my projects, but oh well. I have also thought of making soap, but even with your amazing blog, I am overwhelmed at where to start. I really need to make some for my allergy boy though.

Jess Cahoon said...

I haven't even started thinking about Christmas yet. I am still trying to get Halloween figured out still. Very cute little animal... super crafty.

Eyvon said...

Love the lizard or whatever you are calling it. I am making soap for sure and might try some lotion and body cream.

jess said...

So much fun. I always like to see what projects you are up to. So cute.
This year we are giving Savannah an art easil. So, i want to make her an art apron out of oil cloth,crayon and marker rolls, and a quiet book or two.. we will see if i get them done or not.:0)