"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Merry Little Christmas

We traveled to Washington state for Christmas to stay with Brandon's parents. It's a very long drive, but it wasn't too bad this time. The kids are getting better at entertaining themselves on long trips. Once we are there it's always worth the drive.


We got to see my nieces and nephews that were just tiny babies the last time I saw them. The kids got re-acquainted with their cousins, grandparents, aunts, and uncles as well. It's hard to have family so spread out. Rylan was just warming up to everyone and it was time to go home.

We had a very nice Christmas. I was really sick all week, so I just stayed in bed most of the time and had lots of help with the kids. It's never fun being sick, but it's so great to have help when you are.

Christmas Eve was really nice. Brandon's mom made a delicious dinner and we had a cute little program. The kids opened new Christmas pajamas, we sang carols, and Grandpa read the Christmas story from the bible while the kids acted it out. Averie was Mary, Mason was a wise man, and Ellorie was a very noisy sheep. Go figure. My little nephew Trevor was a great Joseph. I loved it!
And then just when the kids thought bedtime was inevitable, Aunt Tessa pulled out the huge gingerbread houses for them to decorate. Sweet!

They were all so excited. I've never seen Kendra so happy. (Brandon's little sister.) Averie was sticky from toes to eyebrows. Mason made a cathedral-style stained-glass window on one side of his house with gummy bears and sour strawberry strips. Ellorie made the red and green gummy bear shingles on the roof. The theme of their house seemed to be "gummy bears". They invested so much energy into their houses that all three of them fell instantly asleep upon laying in their beds. I've never seen anything like it.

And then they woke me at 2 am to open Christmas presents on Christmas morning. No. I don't think so. Back to bed.

4 am? Nice try. Not yet. Back to bed.

They didn't go back to sleep, but at least they played semi-noisily in their room until everyone else was awake. They were VERY excited to open presents.





The kids were so excited about their gifts. They played happily all afternoon. I was so amazed by the amazing handmade gifts from everyone! I'll highlight them in another post. I'm still not 100%, and I think I need a nap. We had a great trip, but I'm happy to be home. Hope you all had a great Christmas as well!

1 comment:

Kelsey Larsen said...

Seriously. Coming to visit. When can I? I'll get work off for a few days :) maybe I'll bring woody for Averie's jessie doll!