"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Major Neglect (A Confession)


There are many things in my life that suffer from major neglect. (Hopefully my children and family are not on that list.) I'm talking about cleaning and organization here.

Some people are neat and tidy to a fault. For instance THIS amazing/poor soul that refers to herself as Penelope. Her blog is full of great ideas for cleaning and organizing, as well as rants and complaints about people like me that don't seem to mind the dust and sticky fingerprints on my computer screen. I have to admit that I'm fascinated by people that keep things perfectly neat, tidy, organized, disinfected, and inspected. I WANT to be a clean freak, I really do. I'm just not wired that way.

I used to hate, loathe, and despise cleaning of any kind. Not when I was 8, I'm talking about as an adult. My poor, poor college roommates. They all must have secretly hated me. I never knew how messy I was. Even after I was married, I really struggled with cleaning things. I just had other priorities.

Yeah, the toilet is gross, I'll clean it I guess. If no one else will.
We're out of dishes, guess these ones need to be washed. Eventually.
I'm out of clean clothes, time for laundry.
Dusting? Ironing? What's that??

I rationalized that it was fine because I'm an artist and I thrive in "creative messes". I think it was just an excuse for being lazy. Maybe it has something to do with having a husband and four children, or maybe I'm just a "grown-up" now. (yikes!), but I really do prefer things clean these days. I'm still learning how to do a lot of it, and I'm still terrible at it. On any given day MY bedroom is the messiest in the house. But I am putting forth a valiant effort. Most of the time.

Anyway, here is a recent organization project that I chose to undertake. It was small, but in desperate need.

Let me introduce you to my *ahem* jewelry drawer:

Isn't it pretty?
You're seeing where the term "major neglect" might apply?
Stop laughing, okay. This is serious.

It was absolutely driving me crazy that every time I reached for a necklace or bracelet, I first had to untangle it from a massive knot of beads and chains. Some necklaces I haven't worn for years because I couldn't free them from the enormous mass. Also, I think there is an ipod tangled up in there somewhere... Ridiculous, I'm telling you. How did this go on for so long? My mother really did teach me better.

So I found a board in the garage and mod podged, sanded, papered, and painted. Then screwed in a million little hooks for hanging. And then Mr. Allen helped me make more holes in the wall. (Guess I can't be blamed for these ones...)
and ta da!!




Now I can actually SEE my jewelry. I have been wearing it a lot more too, for obvious reasons. Now there is actually room in my jewelry drawer for bracelets and rings. And I found my ipod. Along with a few other things. It turns out I actually have some pretty cute jewelry...

And, I have to show you this. My mama made me this gorgeous necklace for Christmas. I just love it. I can't believe she made it.



And now it has a safe home far, far away from the tangled mess that was my jewelry drawer.

My next project: the spice cabinet (DUN-DUN-DUN!!)

So now I want to hear it. Are you a "Penelope"? Or are you a mess like me? Maybe somewhere in between? Tell me I'm not the only one...

7 comments:

Sally said...

I love your necklace hanger! I am not a Penelope - but I am probably at heart closer to her end. Up until my third child was born my house was clean and organized - now it's a losing battle that I don't even try to fight very hard when I'm pregnant! My cousin (on the other side) has a great organization blog for ideas on how to organize things in your house. http://declutter-diva.blogspot.com/ Someday I may be clean and organized again!

Sharee said...

Very good idea, Britt! I remember having something similar when I was young but I think it may actually have been Melissa's :) Thank you so much for sending my necklace I lost-it is looking so shiny and clean now that its been through the wash. LOL. I remembered the recipe I wanted too, btw. White chicken chili. So if you come across that sometime email it to me please! Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Rylan and Ellorie!!!

Debbie Murdock said...

Seriously I was trying to keep up with you and keep the room clean because your side of the room was always organized. I have places where things collect and it drives my organizational husband crazy!!! You walk into his side of the closet *perfection*, my side not so much. Very cute idea of the necklace hanger...love the colors too.

Trina said...

Very cute necklace holder. I want to be a Penelope but don't like to clean. I do clean but not as much as I should. I think that is why my husband likes to have people over for dinner because he knows that I will be motivated to clean!

Brittany said...

You have a lot of necklaces...super cute one that your mom made you. I am definitely not a Penelope. But I do like my house cleaned. Of course I only have one mobile child and can't keep up with her. I also never iron, poor Derek has to iron himself if he wants to be wrinkle-free. Maybe when the kids are older I will have more organizing time.

wienerhoneymooners said...

Super!! I admit I am a messy girl, and I find clever ways to sometimes hide it away. So I posted a recent admission of my mess and the vanquishing of it!
Enjoy!

Jana said...

I must admit, at heart I am a clean freak. I have noticed however, with each child my ability to keep up dwindles a bit. My opnion of "clean" has definately changed over the years!
Cute necklace hanger!