"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Monday, January 31, 2011

Poor Parenting

I had a horrible dream last night. Buckle up, because I'm going to share:

I had all four kids with me and we had been grocery shopping. My arms were full of groceries. Heavy ones. Mason was carrying Rylan and the girls were hanging onto me. We didn't have a car for some reason in the dream. We were walking. So we happened to walk by a convenience store and we went inside. I let the kids buy some candy and each get a GIANT 64 ounce soda from the fountain. Each. I was still carrying the groceries and dragging around the children. I somehow found the money in my pocket to pay for the drinks and then we continued walking home. The groceries were getting really heavy and the girls were whining and crying loudly. We were only about a block from home, so I told the kids that they could run ahead and cross the road to our house because I couldn't go very fast carrying all the groceries. Mason was still carrying Rylan for some reason. The kids ran home and I eventually arrived. When I got home the kids were all happy and fine, but there were two old neighbor ladies standing on my front lawn. (It was green in the dream. Strange.) They were REALLY mad that I had let my children cross a busy road alone and that I left them all alone. They proceeded to chew me out for a long time. They were getting ready to call child services on me when Rylan woke up and I had to get up in real life to get him a bottle.

It was one of those dreams where you wake up and you aren't quite sure if it really happened or not. I must have been feeling a load of mommy guilt for one reason or another.

Also, I sort of think it's hilarious that my subconscious manifests poor parenting by allowing children to drink soda and cross the street unattended.

And now a bit of real life poor parenting:

This is what happens when the mom thinks that the dad is doing a job that the dad thinks the mom is doing. In this case, turning off the tub water.

You may not be able to tell in the picture, but the water is to THE TOP of the tub, and about to spill over the edge. The bubbles didn't allow the overflow to work properly. Averie was swimming around having the time of her life. The door to the bathroom was open and we were all listening to her playing and chattering, not realizing that the water was still running. Duh! I panicked a little when I saw how deep the water was. I have a terrible fear of kids drowning in the tub. Averie is almost 4, and fine in the water, of course, but STILL! We immediately drained the tub to the normal three-ish inches and I helped her finish her bath. I'm so grateful that all was well. Also, that the house wasn't flooded.

This is certainly where the guilt from my dream came from. Little things like this remind me how fragile life is and how cautious and diligent we must be as parents.

And Averie is henceforth grounded from bubble baths until further notice.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

I could see myself letting the tub overflow. Also I hate dreams...they always creep me out.

Kelsey Larsen said...

BAH! Britt that happened this summer when me and kris left tucker in the bathtub with the water running for a minute. all the sudden (we were eating dinner in the kitchen... yeah) I hear this little yelp and it hit me! We ran in the bathroom to see tucker standing on the ledge shaking and soaking wet and there was water EVERYWHERE. EVERWHERE. it took like ten towels and almost an hour to clean it up. lol