"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Time and Space

(Soft Watch at the Moment of First Explosion by Salvador Dali)

Have you ever thought about what super power you would choose (if such things existed)? Invisibility? Super strength? Flying? X-ray vision, Mind reading? Light speed? Telekinesis? Talk to machines or animals? Power over weather? Shape shifting? There are a lot of good ones to choose from.

Mason and I had a conversation about this the other day. I told him I would choose the ability of slowing down time. He looked at me like I was crazy. But then again, time doesn't really exist to a kid.

January always catches me off guard. I expect things to be slow and easy after the mad holiday and Christmas season of traveling, planning, cooking, entertaining, etc. It never quite happens that way.

Every year I suddenly find it to be mid-January (a.k.a. tax season) and I feel uneasy. I want to stop time. Slow it down at least. I start setting goals, making lists, planning projects, cleaning out closets, crafting, baking... in short, I over-do it. Then, I'm disappointed that none of the things on my lists were accomplished, or in some cases even attempted. It's a vicious cycle.

But today I stumbled across this quote on this blog, and it sang to me:

"When the veil which now encloses us is no more, time will also be no more. Even now, time is clearly not our natural dimension. Thus it is that we are never really at home in time. ... Whereas the bird is at home in the air, we are clearly not at home in time—because we belong to eternity! Time, as much as any one thing, whispers to us that we are strangers here. If time were natural to us, why is it that we have so many clocks and wear wristwatches?"

-Neil A. Maxwell



I love it! I'm making a commitment today to live in the present. It's so easy to be taken over by the things that are screaming for our time. The trick is to remember why we are really here and what is really important. I needed that little reminder today.





5 comments:

shaina said...

Very well put. I had never seen that quote by Elder Maxwell. Definitely something to think about!

Marie said...

Very well put Brittany.

Sharon said...

I LOVE it!

The Wendt Wagon said...

I love this post so much. I too have really been struggeling with feeling like things are going neglected. Especally since I started homeschooling. I wrote a post about it on my blog. It makes perfecr sense that we are not at home in time. THanks to you, I am going to go sit and read a book with my two year old, and then go play catch with my four kids that are growing too quickly. PS... Your roomates did not hate you one bit. You actually taught me so much more than you will even know. Even if I had to clean the toilet on your day every one and a while. Thanks for being you Smalls.

carol said...

1. I love Dali so much. My Dad had his prints all over the house and in his office at work. He has a soft spot in my heart.

2. Spot on! I've never seen that quote, but I think I need it in vinyl. If I could just borrow your cricut? Or have Mason cut it out for me :)