"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine Gifts

When my baby sister was here we crafted and made some Valentine gifts. I was threatened within an inch of my life should I blog our project before the big day. But today, my friends, is Valentine's Day. Time to share!

We made felted pincushions out of wool sweaters. It was such a fun and labor-intensive project. I think we spent at least 8 hour making these babies. I love the way they turned out.

They are surprisingly sturdy and stable. Kelsey is the master of rolling up the felt. The sweaters we picked were awesome. Well, most of them. We found them at a second hand store, but it was really tough to find 100% wool sweaters that were not terribly ugly colors.

Do not attempt this project with sweaters that are not 100% wool, and then make sure it is well felted. (i.e. washed in hot soapy water in a washing machine several times and then dried in a warm dryer.)

Our supplies were 5 felted sweaters, 2 packages of ric-rack, large and small pins (for sprinkles), and needle/thread. We used an entire bottle of fabric glue as well.

It took some trial and error to figure out what to do. There are plenty of images to look at on the internet, if you want to make some of your own. The mugs are my favorite, though the cupcakes are perhaps a bit more practical to use for sewing.




The moral of the story is, do NOT throw away your 100% wool sweaters. Ever. Bring them directly to my house. OR make yourself some felted pincushions if you are so inclined.

Thanks for crafting with me Kels. I probably would have never gotten around to doing this one on my own. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

8 comments:

Darren and Tessa said...

Ive seen these in some books at my moms house!!! LOVE THEM!!!

Dave and Shatzi said...

Those are so amazing! It's hard to imagine with just you describing them. They are so much more awesome than my craft-limited brain could comprehend! Good job!

amanda said...

you have outdone yourself! these are fantastic!

Sharon said...

wow!! Those are awesome!! It's quite domesic of you, Darling.

The Artist Behind Image Perfect: said...

I am sooo proud of my two amazing, creative, talented, happy, charitable,thoughtful daughters! It makes it even better that you are best of friends. You always make me smile and shine! These are so adorable & also useful as I found... the sprinkles are pins... not tasty as they look. My new pin cushion! These couldn't be more darling! Thanks to my most precious gifts ever... my children! I am one blessed mommy!

wienerhoneymooners said...

OMG! I love the marshmallows in the cup and the super cool flip of whip cream!
Super super stuff...(Lucky girls)

Brittany said...

So cute! Looks really tiring.

Anna said...

So cute and creative. I really don't know how you have the time for such tedious projects. You are a super woman!

The blue teacup is my favorite! If it doesn't have a good home, I'd happily buy the little fellow from you.