"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Powerful Motivation

I'm always looking for new motivation to encourage my kids to help out around the house. I found this great, totally free, job program the other day, and I just have to share. It's called www.myjobchart.com. We've been using it for two days and my kids have been spontaneously cleaning things and begging for more jobs. It's crazy.

I love that it is totally customizable and really easy for the kids to use. Averie can't read yet, so she still needs a little help, but she totally loves checking the little boxes as she finishes her jobs.

This is how it works:

First, go to the web site and set up an account. You can add an account for each family member, along with a picture. (The kids love that part.)



After all the accounts are set up, you can start adding jobs and rewards. It's very user-friendly and easy to understand.


Then, when the kids log on to their own account, the list of their daily jobs is on the front page:



They can click on daily jobs, extra jobs, or rewards.

Every time a job is completed, points are automatically rewarded and can be spent as the child wishes. And it's really easy to change things up if you decide the points are too little/too much. It recommends that you have one point equal about a penny. So a 300 point reward would have approximately a $3.00 value. Give or take. Ellorie is currently saving up for a 5000 point lizard. And a 1000 point tank to contain it. We'll see how that goes. I'm not sure she realizes how long it will take to earn 6000 points.

Averie is a big fan of instant gratification, so I need to make more inexpensive rewards so she can "buy" something small every day or two. Her jobs are also worth a few more points because they are harder for her.

Another fun feature is the message board. They love to send messages back and forth to us and ask questions about the jobs. Somehow it's much more exciting to send mom and "email" than to just ask.


I'm not sure the excitement for jobs will continue forever, but I'm optimistic that this program will be in full force through the summer.

5 comments:

leslie mae said...

We LOVE My Job Chart!!! Seriously love it!

Brittany said...

We have been trying to figure something out for Braylee...I will have to take a look at this. Thanks!

Sharee said...

Great idea! I love it. Case is still small but I will totally try this sometime in the future. I love that they can learn the value of earning the things they want. Thanks for the idea :)

carol said...

So signing up for this! Thanks for sharing!

carol said...

We signed up yesterday. The kids were running around the house to get their jobs done. This morning Lindy woke me up before alarms went off because she was so excited to check off her morning chores. All I can say is WOW!
And Lindy's password is wolf. She was certain that this would be Ellorie's password too. "Or maybe wolves, but probably wolf."