"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tucker Shirt


Averie has a favorite shirt.


I mean she is obsessed with this shirt.
I got it for free at Penney's with one of those $10 coupons they send in the mail. It has a picture of a Yorkie like Aunt Kelsey's, so she calls it her "Tucker" shirt.

She would wear it every singe day if I let her. Every time she concedes that it is finally dirty enough to wash, I "accidentally" forget to wash it for a week or so. I have no choice. Did I mention that it is size 24 months? It's practically Rylan's size. It's a belly shirt. It looks ridiculous, but I couldn't talk her in to giving it away. But really, it had to go.

So, I decided to make her a blanket out of the shirt. We went to the fabric store and Averie picked out her own fabrics. (Uh, with a little bit of careful guidance.) I spent all day today sewing away.

I happened to have a little scrap of pink "minkie" fabric that is super duper soft. It made a really fun trim for the blanket. The cheap-o fabric we bought was awful to sew with. Lesson learned. I'm trying to work my way up to becoming a fabric snob, but I just can't pay $17 a yard for something little like this. Call me cheap. This entire blanket only set me back $6.50. But next time I'll go with slightly nicer fabric if I'm quilting it.

Averie was positively giddy about the blanket. Totally worth a day of work. She hovered over my shoulder and watched as I sewed each square. It was super cute. Here is what the finished blanket looks like:

And now Averie can enjoy her Tucker shirt for many more years to come.

I think I may have been bitten by a sewing bug. I have a "sewing stage" once every few years. I'm feelin' it... Next up, Easter dresses!

6 comments:

Shatzi said...

I love it! It turned out so cute! Averie is such a cute girl too. You can tell so much from the pictures how she love her new blanket. What a lucky girl! (and an amazing mom!)

Brittany said...

Too cute!

carol said...

Oh my. That might be the cutest blanket wrapped around the cutest girl I've ever seen. Nice work, lady.

Sharee said...

Your such a good mommy Britt!

Shane and Carlee said...

Wow how clever you are! I never would have thought to make a much loved shirt into a blanket!

Brady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.