"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Basement Building, Crafternoon, and, uh, Scarlet Fever

We are finally making some progress on the basement!!! And I use the word "we" very loosely. I'm very little help with drywall. I'm somewhat of a lightweight when it comes to lifting. We had the insulation installed and the drywall delivered last week.

Brandon's brother-in-law, Jason came to help with the drywall installation. They rented a lift and put in all the ceilings and some of the walls in just over a day. Woot! Mason has been sleeping on the couch for weeks because he and Rylan wake each other up (and thus wake ME up) repeatedly every night. I am counting down the nights until Mason will have his own bedroom. That's probably a bit shallow and selfish of me, but I would love to sleep through the night one of these years. Just once would be fantastic.

So anyway, while the men were working in the dusty construction zone downstairs, Melissa (Brandon's sister) and I were holding down the fort with all 8 children upstairs. We threw a craft in the mix, just for good measure. Melissa brought all the goods to make these cute hair accessories:






Aren't they cute?!? The roses are made of felt and the "posies" out of silky fabric. The gold one is made of ribbon. I'd do a tutorial, but there are probably millions on the interwebs. That, and I forgot to take pictures. The cute little turquoise one matches the girls Easter dresses that I'm sewing. Yes, I am sewing. With a pattern. Following directions. I know. They may or may not be finished in time for the actual Easter Sunday. I've been pretty busy.

Last night baby Rylan woke up at 3:30 a.m., screaming and with a full body rash. He was also leaking green boogers out of his EAR. I'd post pictures, but that's just disgusting. No one wants to see that.

I took him to the doctor first thing this morning. He has a ruptured ear drum, double ear infection, and scarlet fever. Yes, you read that right. Scarlet Fever or Rheumatic Fever is pretty much just a strep infection with a rash. Only the strep is in his ear rather than his throat. Poor baby! A long time ago it was quite dangerous, but due to the miracle of antibiotics, he will be fine and dandy in a day or two. He's not very comfortable today, but he doesn't complain much. We just sit and rock a lot.

So, that's the rundown of the latest around here. Oh, and It's snowing right now. *SIGH*

Happy Wednesday!

4 comments:

Debbie Murdock said...

I hope your little guy gets feeling better soon...that is no fun for Mommy or baby. AND don't feel guilty about counting down the days...moving my oldest downstairs was the best move we ever made.

Brittany said...

Poor Rylan! Sounds awful. But yeah for the almost finished bedroom!

Crysti said...

Yikes! That doesn't sound good - poor baby! I'm headed out tonight, but I'll call you in the morning about tomorrow night.

wienerhoneymooners said...

Poor poor thing...I miss a baby small enough to cradle and rock in a soothing way! Hope is much better - very soon!