"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Easter Dresses and Ties

I sewed Easter dresses for the girls. AND I actually followed the pattern. Uh... mostly.

I am not a seamstress by any stretch of the imagination. I like to sew, but I don't really know what I'm doing. I don't think I have ever successfully followed a pattern to completion of a clothing article. Patterns are written in a foreign language in which I struggle to understand and which require full function of the logical side of the brain to decipher. I do not normally possess such skills.

But I pressed forward through tension headaches, much unpicking, and difficult, slippery fabric. I'm sort of amazed by the results:


Don't look too closely, because the zippers in the back of the dress look abominable. Fortunately there is a nice bow that ties right over the zipper. I also made a couple of huge, unfixable mistakes which almost ended with the dresses in the trash can. Let's just say that there are some "extra" seams in the skirts. They certainly aren't perfect, but the girls will never know.

I also made some ties for the boys and for Brandon.


Is it totally geeky that I made matching outfits for my entire family for Easter???

Wait, don't answer that question. I already know. Oh well. It was really fun, and I'm excited to see them all dressed up on Easter Sunday.

Now for the sake of candor, let me tell you that this was likely a one-time project. It was exhausting! And expensive. And extremely time-consuming.

Although I now know how to "slipstich", gather, identify a "zipper foot" and put in a real ugly zipper. Now that's experience money can't buy.

7 comments:

Debbie Murdock said...

They turned out beautiful!!!

Brittany said...

So did you make a dress for yourself?

BrittanyLane said...

I was going to make myself a skirt, and may still do so. I just ran out of time, patience, and thread.

carol said...

Oh my heck! Those are the coolest! I love the ties too. I demand a post of family pictures after Easter! Great Job, Brittany. Your talents never cease to amaze me.

Shatzi said...

They turned out so cute! Way to go, mom! I'm with Carol. Show us pictures after Easter!

Darren and Tessa said...

Good Job!!!! I love the fabric you chose.

wienerhoneymooners said...

Love the color combo!