"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Stuff



Our summer so far has consisted of
1. travel
2. pack
3. clean like mad
4. rinse and repeat

Oh yeah, and some soccer thrown in there too.

It's been slightly insane, and I'm using that as an excuse for neglecting my blog. We're doing great, it has just been busy.

I feel much less stress about moving now that we know a moving company will be taking care of the actual moving part. Yeah, we have roughly 12,000 pounds of furniture, belongings, and C-R-A-P. This is not an exaggeration (like I am sometime prone to), but an actual estimate from a professional moving company. Twelve. Thousand. Pounds. Of stuff. In my house. Oh my heck!

Where did it all come from? How did I not know that I was a hoarder? By the way have you seen the show "Hoarders"? Don't do it. Totally gross, and riveting. Like a train wreck, you just can't stop watching. (By the way, it's free on Hulu.) And it makes me want to give and throw away everything I own, right now. If you want some good cleaning motivation, this is it.

So we've been giving away and throwing away and packing stuff like crazy. About a hundred times a day someone asks me where something is. I reply, "packed", "D.I.", "Gone", or "I don't know." about 99% of the time. Our house is pretty much empty. On the other hand, it's never been cleaner. I should just pack up all our stuff once or twice a year and pretend like we're moving. It's been super not to worry about shuffling around all the stuff.

Have the kids been bored without their stuff? Well, yes and no. The few toys remaining are used to their full advantage and potential.

The girls did a lot of art projects until the paper ran out. Now they look for other creative outlets. It usually involves mud or water.

Mason reads, pretty much non-stop.

Averie and Ellorie spend a good portion of their days playing outside in swimming suits and harassing the wildlife in the area.

And Rylan runs outside at every available opportunity, properly attired or not.

We will be making the big move in about two weeks now. It is insane how fast it has gone by. Now if someone would only buy our house...

2 comments:

carol said...

Our estimate was 12,000 pounds too! Maybe they just tell everyone that? It looks like you have everything completely under control. I'm glad things are going smoothly. I love the cereal-bowl horse trough!

wienerhoneymooners said...

I am a closet "Hoarder" fan, only watchin' when I think I can not be caught.. and lo an behold..my husband will catch me with hoarders on in the background as I am cleaning the kitchen....Guilty pleasure, key word is guilty, I feel so compelled to jump up and do some sorting or cleaning..