"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Mason Memory



Yesterday we got out all the old Thomas the Train toys that have mostly been stored and unused since Mason was little. Rylan is finally old enough to enjoy them. They were Mason's very favorite toys for a good five years of his life. We knew all about buffers and tenders, boilers and box cars, shunting and coupling, fire boxes and domes, and most of all, every name and number of each and every train. Mason was a stickler for details.

When he was just about Rylan's age he was excited about the cute little faces on the trains. Rylan thinks it's hilarious that the eyes move on the Thomas movies. When he wants to play trains, he says "eyes" instead of trains. Mason was obsessed with the eyes as well.

I remembered that sometimes one of the eyebrows of the trains would get rubbed off and Mason would cry and complain until I drew the eyebrows back on with a Sharpie. True story. I told him about that yesterday and he laughed and laughed about it.

I'm so glad that Rylan can enjoy these toys now, but it makes me a little bit sad that Mason is so grown-up. It happens so fast. He's such a great kid and a great helper, I certainly don't wish he was 2 again. But I still sometimes miss my cute little 2 year old Mason...

6 comments:

Brittany said...

Rylan is too cute :)

Shatzi said...

I feel like Logan is exactly like Mason! He is obsessed with Thomas. Max not so much. I've only gotten the trains out. I should get the tracks out too. I bet that would buy me tons of time to get things done!

The Wendt Wagon said...

Funny you posted this. Our Masons sound a lot alike. With this new baby on the way, it is making me realize just how grown up my Mason is. He is already 11. He too used to play with thomas trains. Watching his younger brothers play with the same set makes me realize just how dast his childhood is goine past. Thanks for this post.

Kelsey said...

I frequently think/talk about what a pro mason was at the make/model of cars. I loved how he'd call out "honda car" or "pt cruiser" from across the intersection. Such a fun time. :) what cute kids you have!!

The Artist Behind Image Perfect: said...

Shirt looks familiar... The one I got Mason for his pictures I had taken??? Flashback moment! Looks so much like Mason did too! Yes you kids do grow up waaaayyyy too fast! Enjoy all the moments and for Peres sake get on the floor and play with those trains too! Ha! Love you all!!!

Marie said...

Haven't checked in for awhile. He is so grown up.
I need to get you a check in the mail. For sure this week.