"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Christmas Project(s)

This time of year blogging gets a little hairy... I've been working on a lot of Christmas projects, but of course I can't show them yet because some of them are for my friends and family that read this blog. You see my predicament? I have several finished projects that I'm dying to show, but alas (and alack) I cannot.


BUT here is one I can show, assuming my kids don't read my blog anytime soon. They haven't been on much lately, so I think I'm safe...

Anyway, this is a project I did at my mother-in-law's Relief Society Super Saturday. They are personalized lamps for the kids bedrooms:




HERE is the original source of the project.

Initially it was a project fit for the craft fail blog. Not good.

It was a quick and easy undertaking, in theory... but it didn't go down so slick. If you want to attempt it I have a few tips:

Lamp bases are from Target. I think they are really cute, so kudos to whomever picked them out.

Photos were edited on Picnic, a free online photo editing software.

Measure, measure, measure.

Use photoshop to exactly lay out the size and shape of the photos for printing. Luckily these lamp shades were pretty much horizontal. Some of those with more of an angled side would have been a nightmare.

Use waterproof ink or have the photos printed at Kinko's or something. The printer ink bled and was a mess. I might try using transparencies rather than vellum for the photos. The vellum buckled and was horrible to glue on. Which brings me to the gluing:

Don't use scrapbooking glue. It was a huge mess. I looked everywhere for vellum dots, but couldn't find them. I think hot glue would maybe work okay. I ended up using glitter glue with a hair dryer. It seems pretty permanently stuck there, but it was quite a process to get everything tacked down.

The original project didn't call for the bias tape, but it really made it look a lot better after I made such a mess with the glue and ink.

All in all they turned out, but I think there are much easier ways to have the same effect. I think the kids will love them, so that's all that matters, right?

6 comments:

Shatzi said...

They turned out great! Your kids are going to LOVE them!!!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Wow!, move over homemadebyjill, and Marthastewart minions, I believe there is a new crafter in town. I really like these. The project terrifies me, so kudos for pulling it off so nicely. And the bias looks so professional. I know alot of the projects for your Christmas are "sew" type. Man, I just wish I wasn't missing the "sewing" chromosome. I am on "Pins and Needles" waiting to see the great stuff. It is actually like a secret Christmas present for me to see all your great stuff you make for your family..(too wierdo?) Anyways, here is one fan that will wait ..ok not so patiently, Ohhhhh I can't wait to see the cool stuff, cheering you on, go Brittany Go!

Debbie Murdock said...

Very cute! I think you're a million light years ahead of anyone if you already have projects finished...work hard now enjoy the few days leading up to Christmas. GOOD PLAN!

Sally said...

Very cute lamps! Great job!

Sharee said...

What a great idea! They are really cute! I have recently acquired a love for bias tape myself:)

Brittany said...

Too cute!