"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Washington Winter

Weather is amazing. Not any type in particular, just the fact that it is so quick to change and that it varies so dramatically from one location to another. When I think about the variety of climates on the earth and even the changing of the seasons I am totally amazed. Mason has decided he might like to be a meteorologist when he grows up. For today at least.

Everywhere we have lived I have marveled at the unique weather. In Idaho, the winters were cold, bitter, and harsh, but unimaginably beautiful. I had a hard time hating the cold because of the gorgeous scenery it created. (Okay, I'm not going to lie, I hated the constant wind, but still..) I never went anywhere in the winter without my camera because it was so gorgeous where we lived. The hoar frost was new for me, and I couldn't get enough of it. And the sunrises and sunsets were nigh to spiritual experiences. Wide, open, beautiful skies and crisp, clean air.

(photos taken last winter in Idaho.)






And now we are in a new place. The beauty is different. The weather is different. It's warmer. A lot warmer. The wind still blows, but only occasionally. The plants are different. Even the snow is different.

But we still have an beautiful skies from time to time

And in December, we even had a couple of foggy days that produced some fantastic hoar frost. For a couple of hours it looked like a winter wonderland.


This week we had our first serious snow of the winter. (At least by Idaho standards.) The kids were delighted to have 2 1/2 snow days due to the weather.

We got around 8 inches of snow, which seems like no big deal, but the snow here is different. It's dense and wet. And then after it snowed, the weather turned into what they call "freezing rain" I thought freezing rain was something different. Like sleet, or hail. ish.

I have never seen anything like this. It "rained" for a full day. Tiny frozen clear droplets of water pelting the ground. It was sort of noisy. They stuck like snow and then formed a solid layer of ice on everything. The windows of my vehicle looked like they had a rhino-lining of ice.

It was dark, but you can sort of see the layer of ice on the snow. Kooky.
It wasn't even very cold. Mid-30's.

And now it's in the 40's and the snow is melting as quickly as it came.
Maybe winter is over. Ha!
Everyone complains about the terrible roads. They really aren't that bad. I kind of enjoy winter. I think I would really miss it if I lived in a place where it never snowed.

4 comments:

wienerhoneymooners said...

Very strange winter indeed. Usually a few scant inches of snow that disappears as fast as it came. This winter was as beautiful as it was dangerous.. and then it disappears to be rainy. I personally love the green that the rain brings here. Keep up the pics of the landscape, I just thought how rare it is that I take them..I will vow to take more. (!)

Debbie Murdock said...

I miss Washington even though I lived on the Western side. The roads are definitely worse over there because of all the hills and lack of snow plows. My family told me about the storm that blasted through. At this point in time WA has more snow than Utah right now.

carol said...

Wow, that freezing rain looks crazy!

wienerhoneymooners said...

I really dig the squinty look and no front teeth she sports when she is chomping on the icicle. It is like "Arggghhh!

I miss the baby teeth stage ---and especially the no front teeth stage!